Monday, January 14, 2013

Beeswax Candle Dipping

India's class had a chance to do some candle dipping before the Holiday Break.  She enjoyed it so much that she insisted that she get a chance to do it at home during the break as well.  I did not have a lot of wax nor did I have a deep can but I found that a soup can will make a long enough candle.  I heated up the wax using a double boiler method on the stove.  Once it was all melted I kept just enough heat under it to keep it from cooling down.  I then pre-dipped the candle wicks first in order to make them firm.  This involves putting the wick in the wax and then stretching and holding the wick until it cools. Doing this first will make the candle straight.  Not really a good task for kids.  Then once the dipping starts you just dip in the wax.  Then dip in cool water.  Wipe with a cloth and repeat.  When the candle is a size you like you just cut off the bottom evenly to make it stay in a holder better. 

This is a quick project that yields beautiful results.

1 comment:

Merrie Schmidt said...

Hi Billie!

I'm so glad you and India got to dip candles at home. I hope we can work together to get the whole school in the spirit this November. Dipping beeswax candles fills the air with the lovely scent of honey--and even invites bees to investigate! Aren't we lucky to have the space and time to do it?

See you at school,
♡Ms. Schmidt, India's teacher