Sunday, July 17, 2011

AHH! Tomatoes

All year long I purchase tomatoes in little plastic clam shells. Usually I choose either tomatoes on the vine or romas at Trader Joes. Sometimes I go for the little grape ones. All of them serve the same purpose. To give my cooking color, texture, and a certian ketchup type of flavor to my food.

Then some time in late winter I decided what types of tomatoes I would like to plant this year. I had great plans to start all of my tomatoes this year from seed directly in my garden. It all started out well at first. They popped up from the ground in plenty of time. Then after a brief moment the snails found those juicy little sprouts and my crop was over. I tried this a couple of times and the only plant I could save was a Japanese Triffle heirloom. I finally went and bought a Black Cherry plant, and a Momotoro plant.

Time and patience have prevailed and the tomatoes are coming on now. The other day I made a salad with the first "Black Cherry's" I had picked. I got one in my mouth not really thinking about it. The next thing I knew I did not care what else I put in my mouth at that meal I just wanted the tomatoes.

Now when we go to the park every day I pack some tomatoes as part of our snack. Talk about natures candy. My life is good with a home grown tomato. The most expensive restaurant could not do better.

No comments: