Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Learning to Weave


After my recent addition of a floor loom I had to accept the fact that I have been putting off educating myself in the finer details of weaving. Like all crafts your learning is life long. However, there is a point where you step off the cliff and start to immerse yourself in the subject at hand. Since I am a book addict I started to sort through my weaving acquisitions and chose "Step-By-Step Weaving" by Nell Znamierowski as my place to start. It was only about 92 pages long so I could break it down to a small bit every day and still finish it in under 2 weeks. It was published in 1967 so it truly has that 60's hippy flavor to weaving. Getting a chance to read it actually gave me some of our more mainstream types of crafts a starting place. For instance the Rya Rug is the forerunner to the hooked rug that so many of us bought kits for back in the 70's. It is nice to know how to build one from scratch.


I already had a hand loom warped up so since I started reading this book I have started to putter a bit more on this loom. The book actually tells you how to make an easy hand loom that is able to complete all but the last few projects that it lists. I had a good time with this and can't wait to start exploring making my first Rya Rug.

No comments: