Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Suffolk Wool


I had been spinning roving for quite some time and was getting a bit tired of paying the price of already processed wool as well as being limited by choice.

I was concerned about the idea of working with a raw fleece because I just did not know how to deal with the bulk in the small one bedroom apartment that we live in. So like I usually do I went on line and found some instructions on how to wash small portions of fleece in my sink.

I was inspired. Shortly there after I found this Suffolk fleece on E-bay and the rest was history. The day it arrived I started washing some of it and then discovered the frustration and joy of picking the wool clean once it has been scoured. I then had to learn how to hand card and spin from my less than stellar rollags.

I have discovered that this particular fleece does not quite suit me when I spin it by itself. However, I have since tried it with some Alpaca and am really happy with the results. I have a lot of Alpaca fiber right now so I will continue to explore the mixing possiblities.

No comments: