Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Family Raised on Sunshine


I received this book for Christmas in 1977 from my father and step-mother. I was in the 10th grade. While I enjoyed reading it, since I have always enjoyed living a more simple kind of life, I seldom had the opportunity to use it very much. When I was in my 20's I was not so concernd with homemaking as I was in working outside of the home.

Now that I have a great new life with my husband and daughter it is important for me to make a good home for them. I have pulled this book off of the shelf many times in the last eight years. If for nothing else for encouragement. It is filled with lots of tips on raising a family in a healthy wholesome atmosphere. I have a lentil soup recipe that I use all of the time for dinner that I found in this book. Today I pulled it off the shelf to give me a push on making my own bread crumbs. Seriously, I know that it is not that hard to make bread crumbs but how often do we find ourselves tossing that stale bread and running to the store to buy bread crumbs for a dish we are preparing. Today I went to Whole Foods for bread crumbs and the only ones they had were both gluten and wheat free. Now if you have problems with these two items that is important but I just want plain bread crumbs.

So I did buy the package but I also popped some cubed bread on a baking sheet into my oven with the pilot on to dry them out. This evening I ran them through the food processer and put them in the freezer in a re-used jar instead of wasting a ziplock bag. We had roast chicken for dinner so I cut up a chicken into 10 pieces and also put the back and neck into the freezer for some soup stock. For me I just have to remind myself to plan ahead and work smart.

The book "A Family Raised on Sunshine" by Beverly K. Nye is no longer being published as far as I know but if you do a google search for it you can order one directly from the author or get one used on Amazon or some other book dealer. The library is also another possible resource. I recommend her books especially as reminders to keep it simple.

No comments: