Monday, August 1, 2011

TVP Sloppy Joes


One of my first vegetarian cookbooks was "The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook". I bought it at the Food Co-Op in Youngstown Ohio. At that time the Co-Op was a very cool little store located in part of an old warehouse. It had everything someone wanting to improve their diet could want without all of the fancy wrappings.

Not knowing very much about this cookbook I did not realize that it was not only vegetarian but also vegan. I have never been a complete vegetarian. Even less so now but I really enjoy the opportunity to bring hearty food to the table that does not include any meat or dairy. The Sandwich above is made with Onions, Peppers, Tomatoe Sauce, TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protien), Soy Sauce, Chili Powder, Salt, Pepper, Sugar, and Mustard. With the exception to TVP most of these ingredients you already have at home. TVP can be found at most health food stores. You will probably have to ask where it is at though. However, it keeps really well so stock up. It can be used to add some protien and texture to any dish. It can reduce the amount of meat you use in meatloaf etc.

I have made this dish for my husband's mens group and they LOVE them. They have the whole man food flair with all of the health benefits of a vegetarian dish.

The Farm is a commune that exists in Tennesee and was founded I believe back in the 60's. I have never been there, but here we are 40 plus years later, they must be doing something right. They have a website www.thefarm.org. The cookbook is also still for sale the ISBN number is 0-913990-60-4. Other great recipes include Melty Nutritional Yeast Cheese, and Soft Sandwich Buns. Check it out.

No comments: