Friday, August 5, 2011

Felted Swan

This is a very easy swan to felt. You start with a pipe cleaner in the basic shape and start to build the swan by wrapping wool roving around the shape that you have formed.

I got the instructions to make this swan from Living Crafts Magazine Spring 2011. This was the first issue I got of this magazine and I made almost every project that they listed. I highly recommend this magazine for fun, natural, easy, and fast crafts that your family will appreciate.

For this one I started at the beak and worked down from there. Using red roving on the beak and white for the body. Once I had buit up the body enough I layed the feathers on either side and then added wool over top of the tips of the feathers and then pinned them down with the wool. For the water I took two colors of wool (blue and green) and felted it together layering the colors to imitate algea on a pond.

I have made several of these and used them for gifts for my daughter's friends. What little girl does not like a swan. I mean really. Quick and easy you can be done in under an hour with roving you may already have on hand. The feathers you can get at any craft store.

No comments: