Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Airing Some Clean Laundry

Living in an apartment I have to use the washing machines that are in our laundry room. When you start adding up the cost of doing your washing each month it ends up costing me about $40 a month if I use the dryer. If I don't use the dryer I save about $13 per month.

So why would I bother hanging my laundry up to dry in my bedroom instead of using the dryers. The reasons are many.

For instance I take that $13 and add it to what I set aside for savings each month. That is $156 extra dollars in my savings per year.

It also saves on the wear and tear on my clothing. Whenever you clean the lint trap in a dryer the lint you are removing is fabric that the dryer removed from your clothing. That means your clothes wear out that much faster.

When I hang my clothes and the air flows through them into my apartment it works somewhat like a "swamp cooler" and helps to cool my apartment.

Lastly, its just that much less energy used that does not have to be used and no dryers heating up the world any more than we already are.

So every night I have the clothes up, yes we have to duck under them. Do I want people coming in my bedroom looking at my underwear hanging up there, No! But this is about having a home that works for our family not the other way around.

No comments: