Thursday, August 4, 2011

Plying A Two Ply

I have a very simple technique for making a two ply off of a drop spindle. It requires very little work or tools.


When I start to spin on my spindle I use a brightly colored leader yarn to attach my new yarn to. When I build up the cop I make sure that the leader yarn is accessible so that I can slide my newly spun yarn off of the spindle and pull the first end out from the center.

I then slide the newly spun yarn onto a knitting needle slightly smaller than the diameter of the shaft of my spindle. This way I can pull from the center and the outside at the same time to do my plying.


Then all I have to do is pull out as much single ply from each end as I can handle. Hold it taught and spin in the opposite direction. This method allows me to 1. go straight from spindle to plying and 2. I always stop plying at the very center of my singles. The only disadvantage is that I can only ply the same fiber this way. I am considering working with two cops at a time and maybe use multiple fibers.

2 comments:

--donna said...

I've done similar, only wound my single onto a ball winder that I got at a yard sale, then transfer that onto a paper tube, put another spindle in the tube and take the two ends of the fiber and spin/ply them together. Worked pretty good.

Peggy O'Neill said...

Thank you so much for explaining your method. I have been trying to slip the cop down onto a straw cut to the size of a lazy kate bobbin shaft. Slipping the cop is problematic because I never use a leader! I believe you have solved my problem!! Such a simple solution to a vexing problem. Thanks so much for linking us to your lovely blog via our Yahoo spinning group.