Sunday, August 14, 2011

Popcorn


When I was a kid we always made popcorn on the stove in a saucepan with a lid. Then one year for Christmas I asked for a kids popcorn popper that I saw in a toy magazine. My parents who also loved popcorn did not want to get me a popper that would not last very long so they went ahead and bought an adult style popcorn popper for me for Christmas. I think they had the motivation that if I enjoyed making the popcorn they would reap the benefits.

That popcorn popper was basically an aluminum pot that sat on a hot plate but the bottom of the pot was rounded so that the popcorn would not burn. The next popcorn innovation came when they developed jiffy pop. Then we had hot air popcorn poppers, and then microwave popcorn.

Over the years the original popcorn I loved as a kid became almost forgotten to the point that I seldom come across anyone who knows how to or considers making popcorn the old-fashioned way. I even was having a hard time finding popcorn all by itself to pop. I sent away to a company I had known as a kid that supplies popcorn to the circus. They are the Evel Gada popcorn company in New Springfield, Ohio. (Part of the Hummel Gift Shop)

Now in our household we pop once again the old-fashioned way. I always have a jar on hand and in not much more time than it takes to make mirowave popcorn you can have the good stuff complete with freshly melted butter and plenty of salt. You just have to get your portion before India gets ahold of the bowl. I think she actually likes popcorn as much as she likes chocolate.

No comments: